Tuesday, December 19, 2006

JITR: Not Just This Season

We are entering into the Christmas season and all throughout town, I have seen it proudly displayed: JITR for the season. Why? Why do we only talk about Jesus during the Christmas season, why don’t we as Christians talk about Jesus any other season? Why do we have to wait for Christmas to proudly proclaim our love for Jesus? What’s wrong with May 3, or July 25, or August 28 or October 25 or September 17. Why December 25? Daniel, that’s Jesus’ birth, duh.
Ok, but we need to be prepared in season and out of season (I Tim 4:2) Christmas time is a good time to spread the Gospel, but so is May 18. We can’t talk about his birth without talking about his purpose, which included his death. Can’t we do that March 31? Why December 25? What is so special about December 25 that isn’t so special about Feb 26.
We are in a season of confusion. December 25 has become so secularized that the whole purpose of Christmas has lost it’s meaning. The purpose of Christmas is to celebrate the birth of Lord Jesus, our savior. Not to celebrate some fat man in a red suit sliding down a chimney. It’s not about the gifts that we give to other people, but the gift God gave to us.
As we near Christmas day, look for other meanings of Christmas: Happy Holidays, Merry X-Mas, Goodwill towards men, Peace oil earth, Angels of all varieties, etc. People still try to keep a religious overtone towards Christmas while trying to keep secularism in it. What a shame.
Christmas is about the birth of Jesus, but why not tell of his birth on March 7. Then while discussing his birth, we can discuss his life. Why not do that on November 28.
When discussing Isaiah 9 why wait until the Christmas season, do it June 6. When teaching about Genesis 3, why not do that April 7.
Christmas songs are songs about Jesus and his birth. When we sing hymns in church we’re singing about Jesus, why not sing O Holy Night on July 18. Why don’t we sing Joy To the World on March 2. Definitely, don’t sing songs about reindeer, city sidewalks, or rooftops.
When we teach about gifts, why not teach Romans 6:23 on October 12. Why don’t we teach Ephesians 2:8,9 on June 23.
How many friends do you have or know that don’t know Jesus as their savior? Open up the gospel to them, and show them what Jesus has done in your life. And if you have to, do it Dec 27.
Christmas is about Jesus. One day at work, they were trying to come up with something for a Christmas slogan, and I piped up from my desk, "I can tell you what Christmas is about." And one of the ladies sighed and answered, "We already know what you’ll say, you’ll say it’s about Jesus and the angels." My answer was simple, "No, I would never say it’s about angels" Christmas is about Jesus, and not just one day but all days. Jesus Is The Reason For All The Seasons.
Have a Very Merry Christmas
Daniel G Vandenburg

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

JITR- I love the Sound of those initials. I love the peace that is given because JITR. And I agree with you 'Jesus Is The Reason', not for just the season but for all time. Great Article, Dan'l. God Bless You.

Anonymous said...

Why do you Christians feel like you need to steal from everyone else. Christmas is not about Jesus, it is a recognized federal holiday, therefore it can not be a religious holiday. Stop trying to convince people it's about Jesus. I will keep this civil for the true meaning of Christmas - Goodwill towards all people, irregardless of religion, ethnic background, sex, or sexual preference. Lilith Furrier Made by your God as a polyamorous bisexual empowered woman.

Daniel V said...

Lilith, there are so many things that you are mistaken about, but I won't go into great detail about most of it, (Since it has been discussed in previous blogs) We must show goodwill towards people regardless of our differences. Christmas has been celebrated long before the United States was a nation. Christmas has always been about the birth of Jesus, hence the name Christ Mass. It is not a holiday created by the US government in the 1880's. The essence of this entry is not to convince people that Christmas is about Jesus, but to convince people, everyday is about Jesus. It happens that Christmas should most definately be about Jesus.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy your blogs, you are insightful, intelligent, and full of wisdom. I know this is off topic, but I must confess, I love your stance on anonymous writings. I had a problem with anonymous writers on my blog and it could have been devastating, had my wife not been an understanding trusting person, my marriage could have been over. The things they were saying were very false, but like astrology charts, had enough vagueness to appear to be true. If people aren't going to tell you their name, then ignore them. If they are truly from your past, then they shouldn't be ashamed to tell you who they are. If you get anymore comments, ignore them if they don't give you a name. Don't even acknowledge the comments in this space. Use wisdom though, if they have a confidential request, don't publish their name and reword their question and post and answer. I hope my advice will help, even though you are already a wise man. Rev Peter Lassiter

Daniel V said...

Rev Peter, thank you and praise God. I appreciate the comments and the advice, they are well received. As for the compliments, thanks they also are appreciated. God has bestowed some wonderful gifts upon me. The gift of wisdom and knowledge come directly from God and all praise go to Him. I am just a tool, used by God for the furtherance of His Kingdom. Thank you and praise God.

Anonymous said...

I agree with your discussion on celebrating Christ all through the year. The first date you mentioned, May 3, might not be a good day though. That's my birthday and I wouldn't even closely compare to the greatness & holiness of Christ. I pray you and your family have a very blessed Christmas and New Year. Jesus is truly the reason for the season, but He is also the reason we have life, and the reason for our living. Remembering you always, M.

Anonymous said...

You are sadly mistaken to think that Christmas is a religious holiday. The ACLU has said that there is nothing wrong with celebrating Christmas, since the Federal Government recognizes it as a Federal Holiday. The first amendment guarantees the freedom from religion. You need to stop trying to make Christmas a christian holiday, accept it as a nonreligious holiday, and stop peddling your rightwing fundamentalist christian propaganda to the world. As I said before I will not read your crap anymore. Christopher Schmidt

Daniel V said...

Christopher,
See previous response to Lilith. As for your other statement, let's look at what the constitution says, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances" http://www.cs.indiana.edu/statecraft/cons.bill.html There is no such wording as the freedom from religion. Read closer and it clearly states "prohibiting the free exercise thereof" A lot of times we misunderstand the word "from" and the word "thereof" they are not synonymous. I can't make you continue to read my entries, so if you're not going to read my posts, then don't. God bless you.

Anonymous said...

You are a tool.
Brandon Neubarger

That's not a compliment

Anonymous said...

Your statement, "Peace, oil, earth" is that a subtle commentary about Bush's policies on the war in Iraq and the oil drilling in Alaska? That is a clever way of showing your disapproval, I applaud your stance.
James Biggs

Daniel V said...

You give me way too much credit. The "peace, oil, earth" has nothing to do with Bush's policies on Iraq or Alaskan drilling, you are extracting something that isn't there. It derives from a movie theater advertisement. It was supposed to say "peace on earth" but the "n" was faded and broken that it looked like an "il", it's an insided joke in which 1 person that I know of, fully understands. Don't applaud too loud, because I am not showing my disapproval.

Anonymous said...

With all this negative criticism, where do you draw your resolve? Do you lean on your wife or girlfriend? Do they give you the comfort that you need to face all these criticisms?
Stephen P Johnson

Daniel V said...

My resolve and strength come not from my own power nor from any one person. "I can do everything through him who gives me strength" Phillipians 4:13 (NIV) I am not married not at this time am I involved with anyone. When burdens become tough, I turn to Jesus Christ. It is through Jesus that all the glory goes to, not anything I have done.

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord! Although God gives you the strength, I hope you know you can still count on your friends to be there for you if you need them, just to talk to or pray with. Have a blessed & joyous 2007 and may you continue to follow God wherever He leads. --M