Saturday, January 02, 2010

New Beginning

With the coming of a new year, most people make a promise to better themselves (resolutions). One study showed after the first week 25% of the people have failed at their resolution. After one month 36% of the people fail. After 6 months more than 50% of the people have failed at their resolution.  Why is that? Is it that they set unreasonable goals (I will lose 2350 lbs), have unrealistic expectations (I will save a gabazillion dollars), or have a certain weakness (I will limit my Pepsi consumption to only 20 cans a day).
Not to brag, but I would throw off all those studies. When I have made a resolution, I have managed to keep it, not just for that year, but also for a long time after. This year’s resolution that I will make: I will not buy a hunk of cheese, sit down, and eat it. As I am trying not to break my arm patting myself on the back, I have not bought a hunk a cheese, or any type of cheese, and sat down unwrapped it and ate it. Now, those who do not know me, I cannot eat cheese, therefore, I will keep this resolution. I set resolutions I know I do not do so I will not fail.
Why do people tend to fail? For me the answer is simple, they do it without Jesus. We try to make ourselves better without the one who can make us better- Jesus Christ. When we accept Jesus as our savior we become a new creation. The old person is dead, the new is alive. "So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!" (2 Corinthians 5:16,17 (NIV)
What makes being a new creation possible?  It starts with forgiveness.  Our Father in heaven has a poor memory.  When your sins are forgiven, they are forgotten.  “For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.” (Hebrews 8:12 NIV).   When your sins are forgiven, you are now a new person; your past is no more. He no longer holds you accountable for your sins.
The beauty of a new year is that we are no longer looking back at the past, but we are looking forward to the future.  The same can be said of all people that come to a relationship with the Father through His Son Jesus Christ.  Instead of looking to past and claiming that God will never use you because of it, look to the future at how God will use you because of Him.  The Bible is full of people that have committed grievous sins against God and yet, when they turned to Him, they were used to promote His love for all mankind.
There is a saying, “When Satan tries to remind you of your past, you remind him of his future.” There will be times when people will tell you that you are no good, that your past is not worthy of doing the work that God has called you to do. Yet, God is not as worried about your past as He is your future. When God calls you to do something, don't worry about what other people will think, concern yourself with what God wants done. When God moves, especially in your life, don't let anyone stand in the way. As Gamaliel told the Sanhedrin about Peter and John, “But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.” (Acts 5:39 NIV) Do what God has called you to do.
As we turn the calendar to a new year, let us turn our hearts towards Him.  Forget your past and look to the hope that has been given to you through Jesus. Start a new beginning for Him.

No comments: