Saturday, March 14, 2009

Who Have You Impacted

One day you are going to die. What kind of impact do you think you will have on people? Allow me to relay a little story: (At this point the computer screen should wave and fade into a flashback).
Many years ago I was washing a vehicle. I heard someone yell out my name. When I turned, I saw a teenaged boy heading towards me. I had no idea who he was, or what he wanted with me. There was only one thought that entered into my brain, “Was he someone I wouldn't let near my sister and now he's going to pummel me into gravy.” (Yes, I prejudged him and someday I will discuss judging people by their appearance.)
When he got to me, he threw open his arms, and I immediately took a defensive posture. Which means I fell to the ground, took the fetal position, and began crying hoping that he wouldn't hurt me too bad. He reached down picked me up and proceeded to . . . hug me. This caught me completely off guard. I wasn't used to teenagers running up to me to hug me. In fact, I'm not used to anyone running up to hug me. I am used to people running away from me when it's time for a hug. So I stood there like a telephone pole, while this teenager was hugging me. After he stepped back, he explained everything.
He told me how he was visiting some friends at the same house I was visiting some of my friends. He informed me that he listened in while I was answering some questions about Jesus. Then, a couple days after that, he was arrested. While sitting in jail, Clarence Garten came by and talked to him about Jesus. He told me that he came to Christ, because of the actions of myself and Mr. Garten. At that point, I did what any macho he-man would do, I wept. I didn't realize the impact I was going to have on this young person, he wasn't one of the kids I was talking with. But it did bring this passage to life for me, “Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.” (Ephesians 4:29 NIV)
Many times we don't realize the impact that we have on other people. We always hope that it's a positive impact, yet how we handle situations and people will show if it is positive or negative.
Are you someone who doesn't care what other people think about you? Well you should. Christians are told to be lights unto the world. If you are always negative, you only serve to push people away from Christ. I have met many people that have come to Christ. Not a single one said they did it because someone scared them into being a Christian. All have said that those who are negative, pushed them farther away. It wasn't until someone showing God's love did they respond to God's call.
Take a look at your attitude and the effect that you are having on the people around you. When you leave the room do people say, “What a joy it is to be around ---” or do they say, “If that's what being a Christian is like then I don't want to be one.”
One day, you're going to die. They're going to throw dirt on your face and go back to the church and eat potato salad. What they say about you will depend on the impact that you have had on their life. When you were born, you were the only one crying while all those around you were smiling. When you die, do you want to be the only one smiling, while those around you are crying?

No comments: