Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Demise: Excuses pt 2

It's full of hypocrites. It's starts too early. It lasts too long. All they want is money. It's just a fashion show. There's nothing for my kids. What are these excuses given for. To avoid going to a wedding. No that's not it. They are given to avoid going to church. Satan uses many strategies to enhance his agenda. What is Satan's agenda for us? Our DEMISE. Giving people excuses to use is one way to separate us from God and other Christian people to hasten our demise. As for some of the excuses given for not attending church they might as well say: I'd rather be on a golf course on Sunday. I want to sleep in. I want to get the best seat at the best restaurant. I'd rather spend my money on me. I don't want to wear a suit and tie (or dress). I will keep my kids from God. There is no difference between the two sets of excuses other than the second set is more honest.
The church is full of hypocrites. Let's take that excuse a step further. The sad news is there are hypocrites everywhere. Do you not continue to go to work, yet there are hypocrites there. Do you continue to go the bowling alley, grocery store, neighbors house, families house, movie theater, and an assortment of other places that have a gathering of people. There are hypocrites everywhere. Do you stop going someplace because a hypocrite will be there? Why then stop yourself from worshipping the LORD, because of other people? Why base your decision on a handful of people? I am reminded of the story of a pastor and a hog farmer who refused to go to church because of hypocrites in the church.
A certain hog farmer refused to have anything to do with the church because all he ever saw was a bunch of hypocrites who belonged to it. He always named two or three.
One day the pastor of the church came by to buy a hog from him. After looking over the farmer's entire swine herd, the pastor pointed to a scrawny, sickly, ugly little runt and said, "I want that one."
The farmer remonstrated vigorously, "Why, Preacher, you don't want that one. He's the scrawniest runt I ever saw. Look, here are some fine hogs over here." "That's all right," said the preacher, "I want that one."
After the purchase was completed, the pastor said, "Now I am going to haul this pig all over the country and tell everyone that this is the kind of hog you raise!"
"Hey, Preacher, that's not fair," the farmer protested. "I raise fine hogs. An occasional runt doesn't ruin my whole stock."
"I am only following your example of condemning a whole church because of the stunted spirituality of a few of its members," explained the pastor.
It's starts too early. It lasts too long
. We don't have a problem getting up at the crack of dawn (or even before) to head to the golf course, to go hunting, (I'm not against hunting, I do it every morning. I hunt for my glasses. I hunt for my wallet. I hunt for my shoes.) to go shopping or an assortment of other things we feel we need to accomplish before 9 in the morning. Yet, when it comes to serving the LORD, 10 o'clock is awfully early. The other side of that excuse is it lasts too long. Most non Pentecostal services last roughly an hour now. People don't have a problem with sitting through a movie that lasts for two hours, or a ball game, or a theatre play. They use that excuse so they can get to a restaurant to eat, instead of eating at home at the family table, or being patient and wait 20 minutes to eat. (I'm not bashing Pentecostalism, in fact, I'm in favor of not clock watching and letting the Holy Spirit control the ending time of the service, not your belly.)
All they want is money. Don't separate me from my money. We put so much stock in the all mighty dollar. It controls us. We need it to survive. We need to take care of our needs (wants). Isn't it funny how large a $100 bill looks in the offering plate, but how small it looks at the mall. Whatever we sow we will reap. "Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work." (2 Cor 9:6-8 NIV)
It's just a fashion show. I know someone who only went to church to see what others were wearing. That person is an anomaly not the norm. God doesn't care what you wear on the outside, He cares what you have on the inside. The church is not to be a showcase for the saints, but a hospital for the sinners. As above, don't let the stunted spirituality of a few, keep you from attending church.
There's nothing for my kids. So let me get this straight. You would rather keep your children home and uneducated about God, than take yourself and your family to church, because there's nothing for them. Growing in Christ should be enough for you and your children. There is a line that shouldn't be crossed when it comes to worship and that is turning the message into full blown entertainment time. Not that the message and method can't be entertaining, but not to the point of only entertainment. Don't use your children as an excuse not to attend church. Use them as an excuse for going to church.
Satan will give you many excuses to avoid going to church. Don't listen to any of them. Get up and go. "Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another- and all the more as you see the Day approaching." (Heb 10:25 NIV) Don't let Satans strategy of excuses lead to your Demise.
Have a blessed week
Daniel Vandenburg

No comments: