Monday, May 29, 2006

Busyness of Life

On the TV (not on it literally, just being shown by it) is a car commercial featuring a little "demonic" thing named "My Fast". Every commercial I've seen has put the emphasis on the speed of the vehicle and everything else is secondary. One commercial has a male and female duo (I'm not sure if they're married or dating) but the "beast" wants the male to hear the roar of the engine and the wind whipping through the vehicle. At one point of the commercial the male , not so delicately, tells the woman to be quiet. Why? Because "My Fast" has to be heard. The point of the commercial is life is fast and you have to be fast to enjoy it.
Society has taught us we must always be busy for life to be meaningful. We have to do many things and accomplish a lot. I am reminded of 2 sisters who were exact opposites. One rushed around trying to get preparations made for a visitor. The other sister just relaxed, sat there, and at one point, washed the guests feet. The two sisters; Martha and Mary, the guest; Jesus.
Martha was busy with preparations for a banquet. Mary was content with sitting at Jesus' feet enjoying the time with Him. At one point Martha exploded and wanted Jesus to reprimand Mary for being lazy and to send her to the kitchen. Jesus did the opposite, He reprimanded Martha for concerning herself with other less important things, while Mary focused on Jesus needs at that moment.
How many times have we done that? Knowing that what we are doing, we are doing for the Lord, but we are going about it all wrong. Martha was focused on pleasing Jesus, but was doing it in a manner that wasn't needed. She was remaining busy, but forgetting the important things. Mary was focused on Jesus, but in a spiritual way. A way that was pleasing unto the Lord.
A lot of times we need to get away from a works mentality and get into a faith mentality. We should remain focused on Jesus and what He wants from us. How do we make Jesus the central part of our lives? First get into the word. Study the bible daily. No matter how busy you claim to be, always find time to study the bible. If you think you don't have time, look at this story
George Mueller Read The Bible 100 Times
Is reading the Bible a necessary part of your day or does it have a low priority in your life? George Mueller, after having read the Bible through one hundred times with increasing delight, made this statement: "I look upon it as a lost day when I have not had a good time over the Word of God. Friends often say, 'I have so much to do, so many people to see, I cannot find time for Scripture study.' Perhaps there are not many who have more to do than I.
For more than half a century I have never known one day when I had not more business than I could get through. For 4 years I have had annually about 30,000 letters, and most of these have passed through my own hands.
Then, as pastor of a church with 1,200 believers, great has been my care. Besides, I have had charge of five immense orphanages; also, at my publishing depot, the printing and circulating of millions of tracts, books, and Bibles; but I have always made it a rule never to begin work until I have had a good season with God and His Word. The blessing I have received has been wonderful."
Counter Attack, Jay Carty, Multnomah Press, 1988, pp. 155ff
Second pray daily. I pray five times a day. I'm not boasting about that, I'm almost ashamed of it. I pray when I wake up, breakfast, dinner, supper, and bedtime. That's five times. I need to increase it. How? When I have free time, I can pause and thank God for the blessings I have. So can you. Scripture says to pray continuously, always be in the frame of mindful prayer. Prayer is a conversation with God. Since He is your Father in heaven, talk to Him like you would your father on earth. Prayer does not solely consist of asking God to do things for you, but it consists of asking God what He wants you to do. To paraphrase a President, "Ask not what God can do for you, but ask what you can do for God."
Third witness daily. Tell others about Christ. Tell others what Jesus means to you. Tell others what Jesus has done for you. Don't get into an exegisis of scripture with them, (unless they ask). Just tell them what Jesus means to you and how He has changed your life.
Fourth prioritize. What is the most important thing to you? Is it your family, work, Star Wars? The most important thing to you should be God. God is above all things, then comes your family, then Star Wars, then your job. If God is your focus everything else will fall into place. "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well," (Matt 6:33 NIV)
God Bless
Daniel

1 comment:

Refreshment in Refuge said...

Excellent reminder, Daniel. I do love God's word so much. I need to read it more, for sure!